Thursday, September 18, 2008

Responding

Sometimes poetry seems to me to be the only vehicle suitable to express an idea or an emotion. This poem arose from my reading of a small part of Jürgen Moltmann's "The Trinity and the Kingdom".

RESPONDING

It is dark, dark night.
Take this cup – suddenly in the dark
it is too awful. But the warm tide
is receding into the dark
and the cold sweat of emptiness
takes its place. The desperate words
fall unheeded on the stony ground.
Withdrawn in a point of light
God has no ears, only pain
and tight-focussed squeezing of the great
love now raw and bright
above Golgotha. The night is past
but dark remains, and emptiness.
A searing cry bruises the great mind
drenched in the pain of loss and
separation – and this is done
for me, this hellish loss, this bruising …
so that I can see, can understand,
am not forsaken. It is too much.
Too much for me. Too much.

© C.M.M.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was struck when you spoke on the phone about your response to Moltmann. The poem is simply astonishing. i will need to keep reading it - if I dare.

jim Gordon said...

Hello Christine. Just discovered your blog the other day. The poem responding to Moltmann is deeply resonant with the central concern of his theology - the suffering of God as embraced reality within the life of God.

Have you read Moltmann's Autobiography, A Broad Place? Helps to trace some of his most important insights to some of his most formative (and terrible) experiences.

Anyway thank you for writing such a reflective response

Christine McIntosh said...

Thank you both. Jim - welcome! No, "The Trinity and the Kingdom" is the only Moltmann I've read: I'm deeply ignorant, I'm afraid, in too many areas of interest to me.