Thursday, November 13, 2008

Afterbirth

After the struggling's long dark
the wailing and the exhortation
the pain of separation and the sudden
rush of birth there comes a moment
precious in its quiet simplicity
when I recognise a new truth
shining in the newness of that day
as with a sudden huge swelling from my soul
replacing that hugeness now a tiny child
the happiness within is known and named.

There will be a time for more naming
and more recognition of this child
at once the closest stranger in my world
and my newest love, but now
is time for happiness alone
enjoyed and savoured in this peace
held between the movements of a song.

©CM.M. 11/08

2 comments:

Dorothy Coe said...

"a new truth
shining in the newness of that day"

Stirred memories for me too...
Brilliant!
Thank you

Anonymous said...

'at once the closest stranger in my world'
is just the most wonderful line.
Oddly, having thought I had nothing to write for this, I found something occurring today. Not yet written down. Part of a wider shift that has taken place since Friday.